Setup a local geoserver instance with tomcat7 in Debian wheezy/sid.
- Follow instructions from Web archive (WAR) until step 3 and return here again.
- Root permissions are needed, to make some changes to the linux system. Gain superuser rights by executing on a terminal: su
- If not already available on your debian system, install the tomcat7 servlet container with your favourite package administration tool (synaptic, apt-get or aptitude). This tutorial uses aptitude: aptitude install tomcat7
- Copy as user root the geoserver web application archive into tomcat7’s webapp directory: cp geoserver.war /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps
- Tomcat should recognize the WAR archive and immediately start to deploy the web application. This process takes some time and depends on your hardware used. Congratulations, your local geoserver is now up and running.